Saturday 29 September 2007

I never got that with the County Council

Oh, the joys of the private sector - 40 hour weeks, 20 days holiday, but...

Three weeks ago my company celebrated its 20th Anniversary by holding a party at a golf club in Edmonton river valley. It was great - free food, a free bar and even a free taxi to and from the party.

Last weekend, the ISL ladies went for a pamper day at a local spa, with the company paying £100 each towards treatments. We then went to the dinner theatre in the evening and watched '29', a spoof on '24'. In case you're wondering about sexism, the men got to go golfing in Jasper in June, but personally I'd much rather have the massage, manicure and facial.

I'm currently working on a 'Long Range Strategic Highways Plan' for Alberta, and part of my work involves looking at other transportation policy reports from around North America - Ontario, Michigan, Kansas, Washington, Florida, Saskatchewan. I was looking at California State's Transportation Master Plan and the first page was signed by none other than Arnold Schwarzenegger. How surreal is that? No-one that interesting ever signed my reports at NCC.

Next week I've got to go to a meeting in Calgary so I'm flying down there. It's a three and a half hour drive but only takes 45 mins by plane. So I apologise for my huge carbon footprint but I don't think that I can cope with driving 7 hours in a day.

No comments: