Monday 17 October 2011

First Day Home Alone with Dan

Now as most of you know Jacqui and I have had a year together at home with our little sprogglet.  You'd have thought that during that year I would have prepared fully for the time when it would be just Dan and I.  You would be wrong.  As it was I was only getting the most important safety things done last weekend and we have both been concerned about getting him down for his daily naps, something that has become Jacqui's domain ever since we came back from the UK in March.

So of course this morning arrived and suddenly Jacqui had to get up early and I awoke properly at 7:45 alone with the munchkin.  I started well, getting up and showering before he awoke, i also managed to get the breakfast stuff ready.  Then he woke up and I got him up and changed.  Breakfast was fine as was getting him dressed.  A short blast of baby einstein then we went out shopping.  Of course we took our time shopping, he likes people smiling at him and many do.

Got home around noon and then we had our first tears when mum wasn't there to greet us.  Luckily these passed swiftly and we had some lunch:
Cream Cheese and cucumber rolls
Baby puff things
Couple of spoons of mush
Grapes
Carrots
Yoghurt
OJ + Water
Not a bad mixture for our first try I think.

After lunch we approached the tough time, getting him down for a nap.  The last time this was tried Jacqui came home to find us both in tears after a failed night time attempt lasting hours.  This time I tried first laying him down and leaving him, not very successful.  Second try was laying with him and putting my hand on him while he cried for a bit.  He was tired though and fifteen minutes later he fell asleep, I'm writing this at just before 2pm and he's been down around twenty minutes, fingers crossed......

All in all things have gone very well today.  The next challenges involve overcoming confidence issues and taking him out into social situations, playgroups etc.  I'm sure it'll be fine but those women are scary :)

No comments: